"My mission is to create the most beautiful oil portrait possible. When painting a portrait, my goal is not just to have a portrait but a beautiful piece of art, a painting that is timeless and will endure all generations."
Born in Eupora, Mississippi, Glenda Brown moved with her family to Memphis, Tennessee, at the age of one. As far back as she can remember, Brown has had a love of art and has always loved working with colors. From her earliest memories of coloring with her grandmother to high school coursework studying the basics of art and the use of different media, Brown’s interest in art remained strong. She attended every art course she could, as well as doing artwork for her church, her sons’ schools, and friends.
At the age of 35, Glenda Brown realized her professional destiny—she was to be a portrait artist. The owner of a frame shop with whom she did business referred her to Arts Uniq’ Publishing Company in Cookeville, TN. There her paintings were made into prints and distributed throughout the United States. This was the start of a nearly decade-long relationship.
Brown’s love for art is reflected in her continued pursuit of artistic excellence. She boasts a clientele from all over the United States, from California to Virginia, Mississippi, Kentucky, and Alabama. She was awarded the Certificate of Excellence and the Member’s Choice Award by the Portrait Society of America. She was also awarded the Grand Prize by the American Society of Portrait Awards. She has been featured in International Artist Magazine and The Commercial Appeal. She is a founding member of the Contemporary Realist Academy in Memphis.
Selected Commissions & Collections
- Her portrait of Bob Dunvant hangs in the Memphis Court House in Memphis, Tennessee.
- Her portrait of Mark Twain is in the collection of Mud Island Museum in Memphis.
- Glenda's family portraits are included in private collections throughout the United States.
Honors & Awards
- In 1998, Glenda won the "Grand Prize Award" from the American Society of Portrait Artists. This distinguished award was presented by nationally acclaimed portrait artist Michael Del Priore.
- Glenda was featured in the April/May 2004 issue of International Artist magazine.
- Glenda authored the book, "The Art of Basic Oil Painting," which was released in 2014.