Everett Raymond Kinstler
"There are three things that are important: feeling, imagination, and the means to communicate."
Everett Raymond Kinstler is a native New Yorker who began his career at age sixteen, drawing comic books and hundreds of book and magazine illustrations, as well as covers for paperback books. As one of the “golden age” era of comic book artists, his illustrations for magazines, including The Shadow and Doc Savage, have influenced the pop art school. He studied at the Art Students League, where he later taught from 1969 to 1974. Kinstler ultimately made the transition to portraitist, and soon established himself as one of the nation’s foremost portrait painters. For over four decades, Kinstler also has devoted time to painting landscapes and watercolors.
Selected Commissions & Collections
- Kinstler has painted more than 50 cabinet members, more than any artist in the country’s history. Seven presidents - Richard Nixon, Gerald R. Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush - have posed for him. His portraits of Ford and Reagan are the official White House portraits.
- Among Kinstler’s more than 2,000 portraits are such well-known personalities as Tony Bennett, Carol Burnett, James Cagney, Betty Ford, Gene Hackman, Katharine Hepburn, Lady Bird Johnson, Paul Newman, Peter O’Toole, Gregory Peck, and John Wayne. Others include authors Arthur Miller, Ayn Rand, Tennessee Williams, and Tom Wolfe; Supreme Court Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Harry Blackmun; business and government leaders such as John D. Rockefeller III, Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, six U.S. Governors, four U.S. Secretaries of State, and the presidents of universities and colleges including Brown, Harvard, Oklahoma, Princeton, Smith, Wellesley, Williams, and Yale.
- The National Portrait Gallery, Washington, D.C., has acquired more than 100 of his original works for its permanent collection.
- He is also represented in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Butler Institute of American Art, Brooklyn Museum, among others.
- Kinstler painted the official mayoral portrait of former NYC Mayor Rudolph Giuliani.
- Recently completed portraits include Sen. Robert Dole for the U.S. Senate; Neil Rudenstine,
former president of Harvard University; Judith Rodin, former president of the University of Pennsylvania; and Donald Trump.
Honors & Awards
- Honorary doctorate, Rollins College, 1983
- Honorary doctorate, Lyme Academy College of Art, 2002
- Member of the National Academy of Design (N.A.), Allied Artists of America, American Watercolor Society, Pastel Society of America (Hall of Fame), Audubon Artists, Copley Society of Boston, and the National Arts Club.
- Copley Medal, The Smithsonian, National Portrait Gallery, 1999